Here is a healthier take on Jam Drop biscuits and most ingredients are available through Buda Organic Foods:
- 125g Virgin Coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup (110g) of rapadura (we stock this)
- 110g Pumpkin Seed meal (high in magnesium, great for the prostate – attention gentlemem!)
- 20 Apricot kernels ground (contains B17 which has been shown to kill off cancer cells)
- 1 egg (preferably from our happy hens – see our Clucker Share scheme)
- 2/3 cup (100g) plain wholemeal flour
- 2 tablespoons of jam (your choice)
- Preheat oven to moderate (180oC/160oC fan forced). Line baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat coconut oil, extract, sugar, meal and ground apricot kernels in a bowl with a beater (hand or electric) until fluffy. Add egg. beating until just combined; stir in flour.
- Drop level teaspoons of mixture on trays 5cm apart. Use handle of a wooden spoon to make small hole (about 1cm deep) in the top of each biscuit. Fill each hole with jam. Bake for about 15 minutes. Cool jam drops on tray
Fancy a pesto with a bit of bite and a smooth, creamy texture? This pesto never fails to impress even though it has no dairy. The taste and the bouquet of this pesto will have you coming back for seconds. Makes 400g. Rating – Very easy.
1 Large Bunch of Organic Bush Basil
3/4 cup of organic olive oil
2 tablespoons of pine nuts
100 g Raw Cashews
3 Large cloves of garlic
1 – 1 1/2 teaspoons of Fine Celtic salt
- Soak the cashews in a bowl of water for half and hour so they are still slightly crunchy.
- Put basil leaves into food processor bowl. This can take some time so have a seat. If you have school aged children this is a great way to get them involved in preparing their meal.
- Add oil, garlic, pine nuts, drained cashews and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Start the processor, blend until smooth. Check saltiness. Add another 1/2 teaspoon if required (I find I do).
Serve mixed though pasta as a quick and easy entree. Use with raw vegetables as a dip. Use instead of butter to make lively sandwiches.
Mark’s suggestion: Spread on toast with a poached egg.